[OSGeo-Discuss] Command line tool for dissolving polygon boundaries

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Mar 1 14:42:25 PST 2011

On 02/03/11 08:37, Dan Putler wrote:
> All,
>
> Is there a FOSS command line tool that runs under Linux for dissolving
> polygon boundaries based on a field in an attribute table that (ideally)
> works directly with shapefiles? There are a number of non-cli tools out
> there, but I'm working with all US counties on a county by county basis,
> and wanted to avoid importing each individual county into another product.
>
> Dan

Dan,

My understanding is that SAGA can be accessed using the command line.
Check out this page...
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/saga-gis/wiki/Executing%20Modules%20with%20SAGA%20CMD

If you intend to create a bash script to dissolve your shapefiles, it
would be just as easy I presume to write a script that opens the
shapefile, dissolves the polygons, then closes it; progressively working
through the list of counties. Remember most packages have the ability to
run script. gvSIG uses Jpython, QGIS python, etc. I fact from what I can
tell you can actually import QGIS modules into python.
http://desktopgisbook.com/Creating_a_Standalone_GIS_Application_1

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper