[OSGeo-Discuss] Correct List for Newcomers

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 28 19:27:38 PDT 2011

On 03/28/2011 05:43 PM, Bob Kerstetter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is this the correct list for asking newbie questions?
>
> For example, I am using the decklogs from a 1940s US Navy cruiser to trace its journey's from 1942 through 1945. I know how to enter coordinates, draw lines and load maps, but where do I obtain a specific map? I need one covering the entire Pacific Ocean as it was defined during that era. I would like the map to show the Pacific and all of its islands, including small areas such as Yap and Ulithe, for example. I would also like to have a layer showing the geographic structures on the Pacific floor, such as the IBM arc. Do resources such as these exist, or do I need to create my own? I have searched the Web for answers but really don't know enough to enter search criteria correctly.
>
> If this is not the correct list, please excuse me.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, this is a great place for people new to Open Source Geospatial to
ask for some direction on where to find help. But no, this probably
isn't the right place to ask about a specific computer application.
However the direction we send you is going to be based on which software
you were referring to in your post, could you please clarify what
software you are using so we can direct you to the more appropriate list
on that?

Of the course the other approach is to more generally ask what software
should you be using for your particular use case? That sort of question
is very appropriate for this list.

I find the question of finding period accurate maps of WWII in a digital
form a very intriguing question, and would love to hear what others have
to say on the topic. Personally if you know where to access a paper
reproduction I would say digitize it, georeference it and use that as
your base map.

Enjoy,
Alex