[OSGeo-Discuss] Correct List for Newcomers

Peter webwiz at pl.net
Tue Mar 29 14:17:04 PDT 2011

The qgis georef plugin is good with a few regrettable UI odditys.  (QGIS 1.6 WIN).

1. It essentially uses brute force to distort the raster to try to make your grid control points match. If you know the projection of the source raster then there are better ways see below.

2. A trap for young players is that any method but linear will distort the raster, ie rotate or squish. None of this is made clear by the plugin.

3. For some odd reason you cant paste coords into the UI. Odd because who remembers and types 9 digit numbers.

4. Try to get an accurate vector layer of the same terrain, that has recognizable locations that match your raster, load that up, and then use the from map tool, itll be the easiest way.

Now if you know the projection of the source raster, why mess around with it. Use the QGIS | raster | warp tool which warps between two mathematically known projections, and not introduce any more noise, and assigns the source srs, and converts to geotiff all in one action.

One newbie to another mate. Theres lots to learn, allow some time or youll find it frustrating.

Peter