[OSGeo-Discuss] New AcidMaps with Geoserver plugin

Fabio Renzo Panettieri fpanettieri at xoomcode.com
Thu Mar 31 08:51:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 19:54 +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Looks cool.
> Are there plans to move acid maps code into the geoserver code base at
> some point?

I don't think that the core of acidmaps would be moved to geoserver,
because we like the idea of a shared library that can be accessed form
multiple sources, JNI being one of those, some future implementations
could be a MapServer plugin, a plugin for QGis, etc...

We created first the geoserver plugin because that's what most of our
projects are using as map server, but we want to integrate it with
others systems too.

>  From a packaging and sales story, it will be much easier to install and
> use acid maps if it comes default with GeoServer.

>From the top of my head, another easier way to install it can be a
self-contained jar with the plugin, and compiled native libraries
embedded.

Other could be changing the plugin access to the native library from JNI
to JNA.

It would be good to know if the GeoServer team it's interested, we can
probably find a better/smarter way to integrate AcidMaps.

> (I'm thinking about the best way to include acid maps in OSGeoLive
> http://live.osgeo.org )

Given the live cd it's based on ubuntu, I think that the library can be
installed on system path, and the geoserver plugin be already deployed
in geoserver/WEB-INF/lib.

--
Fabio R. Panettieri
Lead Software Engineer