[OSGeo-Discuss] A few survey stats

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri May 13 16:06:51 PDT 2011

Good Thinking Arnulf:

As indicated this is the basic challenge of open source; how to keep patches coming in, reviewed and applied to the codebase.
> I can see a lot of coding going on inside different organisations but
> the solutions never find their way back into the core software because
> of a disconnect to the core developers of the projects.
One thing I can recommend is the "community module" system we have adopted for GeoTools and GeoServer. It makes the barrier to entry very low. Now we could stand some more success bridging the gap between those working on community modules and the central project; but it at least gives us a pool of developers who are a) building the project and b) have commit access to the repository.
> In a proposal for a EU-funded project I am now trying to directly
> address this. One sub task is dedicatged to hosting code sprints which
> focus on the needs of collective user groups. There are now loads of
> requirements arising from INSPIRE for example. The idea is to get
> funding from the organisations to support the work of the developers -
> and at the same time get users and developers closer together. Not sure
> whether this works but it is my best try at closing this gap so far. And
> it might open new funding streams which so far are left unexplored.
It is a good direction; and may foster interoperability between projects as well. At the very least shared test data would be a good win.

Jody