[OSGeo-Discuss] Tips for running FOSS4G

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 05:32:43 EDT 2011

On 09/05/2011 01:03 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Peter,
> A few hints for you from our FOSS4G 2009 experience:
>
> One thing we didn't get working very well in 2009, but which you might
> have more success with is collecting metrics are about how good
> different presentations are. (This would be really useful for following
> years in selecting presentations.)
> Can each presentation finish with reference to a webpage, where audience
> immediately spends 1 minute filling in an evaluation, covering something
> like:
>
> 1. The presentation just attended. (Presenter, Time, Date), probably
> from a pull down list
> 2. Ranking how good/interesting the presentation was, sliced a couple of
> ways: (Content, Style of presenter)
> 3. Profile the person doing the ranking: (Developer, Technical User,
> Manager, Other)
> 4. Guess number of people in the room: 10, 50, 100, 300, 500, 1000

One of the best evaluation of presentations I've ever seen was at an
Erlang Factory. At the exit of the room there were two kind of cardboard
cards, green and red ones (make sure they are distinct for colour blind
people). People just had to put them into a basket next to them if they
liked the talk or not.

Of course you won't get detailed feedback, but reach a far wider audience.

Cheers,
   Volker