[OSGeo-Discuss] Report from the OSGeo Board meeting

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Tue Sep 20 21:51:22 EDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 3:14 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> * We have reconsidered the way the organization is run and came to the
> conclusion that it is time for a change.
> * We would like to diversify our outreach and fundraising and address a
> wider range of activities.
> * As a result we have decided that the existing role of a single
> Executive Director is no longer the best use of our funds and we will
> discontinue this role.
> * We thank Tyler Mitchell for his great contribution in launching and
> bringing OSGeo into operation over the last five years. We look forward
> to his continued contributions in coming years.
> * We will make supporting code sprints a higher priority of our goals
> and draft guidelines [3] to that effect.
> * As a first step we decided to financially back-up the Islandwood Code
> Sprint (sign up here [4]).

The elimination of the Executive Director position accompanies what seems to be a strategic shift in the operation of OSGeo. It seems such a move should have been discussed with the membership prior to implementation. Being and open and transparent organization calls for such discussions.

Can the board explain how elimination of the Executive Director supports the new goals? Or is it solely a financial issue? Is there a strategic plan the outlines these goals and how they will be implemented?

-gary