[OSGeo-Discuss] Xlink 1.1 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Tue Apr 24 06:42:45 EDT 2012

Il 24/04/2012 12:22, Bruce Bannerman ha scritto:

> Please note Carl Reed’s blog on OGC’s policy and timeline to move to
> Xlink 1.1:

Quoting from Reed's blog:

> Concurrently, we need aggressive OUTREACH, OUTREACH, OUTREACH to
> inform and educate the implementation and user community. For
> example, we need to:
>
> Coordinate with TC 211

Coordinate with OASIS

Coordinate with the GeoSciML community

Coordinate with INSPIRE

Inform all technology developers that they need to check their offerings
and determine what (if any) changes they need to make. Not just OGC
Members but the whole community!

Coordinate with the Open Source community also

... I cannot but ask myself: WTF?? First OGC takes a disruptive
decision, IIUC this is changing the existing standards without issuing a
new version of them (or, if this is not the case, Mr. Reed needs to
rephrase heavily its writing), and then they realise OUTREACH, OUTREACH,
OUTREACH is needed? Why the need to hurry everyone?

Is this even how a serious standards organisation works?

Ciao,
steko