[OSGeo-Discuss] Defining an OSGeo Ambassador role

Rafał Wawer huwer at iung.pulawy.pl
Thu Apr 19 23:00:30 PDT 2012

I think it is a great idea and introducing the role for few dozens of
members would increase the awareness about OSGeo globally. Naturally, the
ambassadors should be well familiar with OSGeo but also have certain mandate
to speak and make connections on behalf of the Foundation.

On the other hand there are countless events on various geographical scales:
conferences, workshops, political meetings etc., where highlighting OSGeo
would be very welcome or even expected. I have this kind of meetings quite
often, e.g. in 2009 during the EIONET's SEIS Task Force Meeting. I think it
would be good to have an another, less "dramatic" role than ambassador
beside - role for members who represent thematic domain (rather than
geographically distributed ambassadors) and often speak on conferences etc.
I'm sure we can find a nice word for it. (-;
For example I am considered as expert in environmental assessments for
agriculture. During usual presentations related to spatial analyses and
modelling I could include OSGEO Foundation below my usual affiliation (if
allowed by the employer naturally) and put 2 slides on FOSS4G and OSGeo in
my presentation - it costs nothing, but obviously draws audience's
attention, especially as you combine keywords: free, GIS, RS, webmapping.
(-;

Maybe defining roles for the huge cloud of members out there is the way to
structure the planning for the future of the OSGeo. (-:

Best regards:
RAf

DR. Rafal Wawer
The Department of Soil Science Erosion Control and Land Protection
The Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation - State Research
institute
ul. Czartoryskich 8
24-100 Puławy
Poland