[OSGeo-Discuss] Whitebox Geospatial Analysis Tools v. 2.0

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Apr 23 08:57:58 PDT 2012

Software looks nice. With regards to putting on the live DVD, I noticed
that Whitebox requires the SUN  Java JRE to be installed.  I'm not sure
you can distribute the  JRE  on a live DVD, since Oracle retired  the
'Operating System Distributor License for Java’.
http://jdk-distros.java.net/

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
Sent by: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
04/22/2012 04:46 PM

John Lindsay <jlindsay at uoguelph.ca>, OSGeo Discussions
<discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Whitebox Geospatial Analysis Tools v. 2.0

John,
Congratulations on your release.
I wonder whether this project is a candidate for OSGeo-Live,
http://live.osgeo.org.

In looking through your introduction I have a few questions, which were
not obvious to me.

What type of user would wish to make use of Whitebox GAT? What tasks
would they be performing?

Does Whitebox make use of other geospatial libraries? Maybe geotools or
sextante? One of the most effective ways of attracting co-developers is
to build upon an existing project or library and adopt developers from
this project.

Who is currently using Whitebox GAT?

You would likely wish to weave answers to these questions into your
website home page.

On 22/04/2012 10:39 PM, John Lindsay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Many of you have been asking when a new version of the open-source GIS
Whitebox would be released. Well we've been very busy working on it, and
now we're are excited to announce that the new version of Whitebox GAT has
finally arrived. Please visit
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hydrogeo/Whitebox/index.html for more information.

> Whitebox has been completely re-written. The main reason for this was to
allow Whitebox to be truly multi-platform, running equally well on MS
Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. This has been a major undertaking and as such
there are still a few tools and features from Whitebox 1.0.7 that need to
be translated over to the new version. We're looking for volunteers to
help with the work yet to be done (including working on the help
documentation, testing and reporting bugs). Whitebox is now written using
Java, the world's most popular multi-platform programming language. I know
there are a lot of you out there with Java programming skills who could
contribute to the project. There have also been many additions to version
2.0, including support for displaying vector ShapeFiles, plenty of new
tools, new image processing functionality, and an improved user interface
( http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hydrogeo/Whitebox/screenshots.html ). As always,
we welcome any feedback to help improve the software. Please contact John
Lindsay with any comments you may have.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/geography/people/faculty/lindsay.shtml
> Whitebox GAT Web: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~hydrogeo/Whitebox/index.html

Cameron Shorter