[OSGeo-Discuss] All OSGeo-Live java applications now working with OpenJDK 7

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 17:18:20 PDT 2012

100% of OSGeo-Live java applications are now running successfully using
OpenJDK 7 in OSGeo-Live <http://live.osgeo.org> 6.0 beta releases.

This move to OpenJDK has been driven by Oracle's announcement that the
"Operating System Distributor License for Sun Java" has been retired,
meaning that Sun Java is no longer allowed to be distributed in Linux
distributions such as Ubuntu, or OSGeo-Live.

The good news is that OpenJDK, the fully Open Source implementation of
java, has improved to the point where we have shown that all OSGeo-Live
applications will run under OpenJDK 7. And by extension, we have shown
it is feasible to incorporate these applications in linux distributions.

We have verified applications compile and quickstarts run as expected,
and we have been impressed with what we have seen. However we have not
done comprehensive testing of all functionality in each application. Nor
have we tested performance or reliability. Users who wish to see a
specific application deployed into production using OpenJDK should
contact the project about whether more detailed testing has been completed.

    About OSGeo-Live

OSGeo-live is an XUbuntu <http://xubuntu.org> based distribution of
Geospatial Open Source Software, available via a Live DVD, Virtual
Machine and USB. You can use OSGeo-Live to try a wide variety of open
source geospatial software without installing anything.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally