[OSGeo-Discuss] First Latin American Conference of Free and Open Source GIS

Mauricio Miranda mmiranda at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 21 13:09:06 PDT 2012

On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Alex Borrell <borrellalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the last message, it should be in English. I'll try to translate.

NP, I'll try to answer again (in English this time) and I'll CC the OSGeo general list.

> LatinAmerica FOSS4G is really a good idea, and certainly a goal for all latinamerican members. Yet itÅ› not an easy one, we'll need al the help available. Latinamerica is very extensive, and transport could be a real problem, so location is an importatn issue. It should include at least 3 languages (and maybe more): english, portuguese and spanish.
> Increasing the number of latinamerican members is also important.
>
> The conferences so far tend to be rather local, maybe due to distance problems (It's easier flying to Europe than Chile or Argentina :)).

It's good to know there are people around with the same ideas and fighting for the same cause.

It's true we need to spend more time working on the coordination between the different communities, however, this is a hard and long work because OSGeo-es involves all the Spanish speaking countries in America and that's a really big territory to cover. We are moving on this, slower than we would like, but in the right direction.

> If there is any effort heading in this direction, please count me in!

The conference is confirmed [1]. They are asking for help to promote the event so if you are able to spread the voice, that would be a great help.

> By the way, congratulation for your nomination, really good news.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Mauri

[1] http://www.fiec.espol.edu.ec/LatinOSGIS/index.php/en/