[OSGeo-Discuss] Which Java OS GIS project to join ?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:54:13 PST 2012

On 15/02/12 04:09, Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to contribute to a Java based OpenSource GIS project.
> Which ones have backlogs of tasks I can work on as a Java programmer and
> architect ?
> Any recommendations ?

Wow, what an attractive offer to an Open Source project team. I'm going
to jump in early and try to woo you over to the OSGeo-Live project for a
couple of weeks (until we put out our next release)
http://live.osgeo.org

At osgeolive, we package close to 50 open source gespatial applications
on an Xubuntu base, and distribute at conferences and workshops around
the world.

Right now we would dearly love someone with some java experience to test
applications running on openjdk 7, as they previously were tested on sun
java 6. This is something that all java projects will need to address
soon, as sun java will not be allowed to be included in linux based
installers in future linux releases (it will need to be installed
separately).

It would be great to have someone test all our java applications with
openjdk, identify any errors, then work with the communities to help
resolve any issues found.

This would also be a great way to learn about what open source java gis
projects are out there, and help you determine which you would like to
work with.

Interested? Please drop by and introduce yourself at
irc://freenode.net#osgeolive or on our email list
http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/live-demo

You will also want to download our latest ISO image we are testing from:
http://aiolos.survey.ntua.gr/gisvm/5.5/

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager