[OSGeo-Discuss] any ideas on how to Monitor and Review 'random' files?

Carsten Troelsgaard troelsgaard53c at live.dk
Fri Feb 17 11:36:09 PST 2012

> Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 05:24:48 -0800
> From: davep at confluence.org
> To: discuss at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] any ideas on how to Monitor and Review 'random'	files?
>
> We are doing some brainstorming in order to come up with possible
> ideas of how to address a problem, so any thoughts, comments, or
> suggestions are welcome. The problem is outlined below.
>
> Within a corporate environment the users have workstations
> running Microsoft Vista. All users have access to some
> network file shares, but different groups of users have
> access to different file shares. All file shares are
> using the NTFS filesystem.
>
> A group of users - call them the Workers - have a common
> file share that they use during the course of their business.
> When an "event" takes place, and for some time after, various
> Workers will add event-related files to the shared location.
> How such files are organized is up to the Workers. There is
> no technical mechanism (i.e. filesystem monitoring software)
> or procedural mechanism (i.e. business process) that currently
> exists that results in 'monitoring' the addition of, or changes to,
> the event-related files.

I recall an item in the visual basic idé (the visual programming environment) called a 'file-system-watcher'.I never used it, so I cann't comment an further.

> A different user - call them the Reviewer - who works in a different
> part of the corporate organization, has a need to 'review and organize'
> some of the event-related files that are provided by the Workers.
> This process typically takes place 'after the event', however,
> event-related files might be added by the Workers well after the
> event took place (e.g. months or years later), so the Workers could
> be making updates during the same time period that the Reviewer is
> doing their 'reviewing and organizing'.
>
> For a particular event the Reviewer may want to review the
> event-related files, 'organize' them, and be informed when Workers
> add more files for that event. Eventually there may be a need to
> make a copy of some of the event-related files, based on criteria
> specified by the Reviewer.
>
> It may be possible to add software to the Reviewer's workstation
> to assist with this process, but it will be less likely to be
> able to deal with the Workers' workstations, and very unlikely
> to be able to deal with the servers hosting the file shares.

is that to be understood as .. they can view or download from, but not say make any scripts on the server ?
> Although this isn't really about "geospatial processing", there
> are some geospatial files involved in this process. As an example:
> - an event takes place - call it "ABC123"
> - a Worker who has files related to ABC123 will put the original
>    files, or copies, on a file share (e.g. some raster maps, some
>    shape files, some word processing documents, some emails, some
>    JPEG photos, KMZ files, etc.)
> - other Workers will also have files related to ABC123, and they
>    will also put them on the file share
> - the above process continues while the event ABC123 is 'active'
> - over time the initial set of "ABC123 files" will stabilize,
>    and there may not be any new files added very often
> - the Reviewer gets involved sometime after the event, and starts
>    with the set of files that exist at that point for event ABC123
> - the Reviewer may want to 'organize' the files for event ABC123,
>    however that might be able to be accomplished by 'organizing'
>    file metadata, rather than having to make copies of the ABC123
>    files and organizing the copies
> - when files for event ABC123 are updated (e.g. a Worker adds a
>    "One Year After" report for event ABC123), the Reviewer wants
>    to be able to know that there has been an update
> - at some point the 'organized files' for event ABC123 (and possibly
>    some 'notes' or 'metadata' about those files) will need to be
>    copied from the Workers' file share to another file share, in
>    order to preserve a copy of the files and to provide a location
>    to use for processing the files as they are loaded into a
>    'document management system' that the Reviewer uses
> (the last step of loading files into the document management system
> is already in place, and isn't part of the brainstorming exercise)

It's not a straightforward problem, so, I could imagine that I would tackle it by my process of working. Coding is the heaven of 'divide and concur' .. building a long list of involved files for starters would bring something to .. divide (read: organize). A way would be to mandate a process of registering files (ie by way of a form on a php/html-driven page). I'll not attempt to feed my brain with the whole setup of your problem, but currently I'm sort of taking a run at dealing with an eqvivalent problem-set: administering a twitter-page (never been twittering thou - just exersizing my skills in html, css, javascript & php before the real deal: GIS). No need to say that, if you've got a central page, you can collect information, and possible also generate different sorts of events from there, depending on the input. My web-programming skills is comming up to be 2 weeks old ... but this was a brainstorm, right ;o)
Carsten