[OSGeo-Discuss] any ideas on how to Monitor and Review 'random' files?

Carsten Troelsgaard troelsgaard53c at live.dk
Fri Feb 17 14:04:23 PST 2012

Dave,
If the only common denominator of all involved is the company you work for, you'll need a gophor.Joke aside. If noone in your organisation can build you a .html that everyone involved can access, you do have a problem.To put resonable scripting on the page and on the server it's downloaded from is your key to the problem - as I can tell -. The page does not need to be hosted on the same server as the files, or for that matter have access to them. But I don't see how you can do anything without information about the files and a central place to process that information. If I'm off the mark, then please let me know.
Bwt the file-system watcher I mentioned is probably an object that lives within application programming (a .dll) ... easy to program, a nightmare to distribute. I can imagine a dilemma: Putting events (if it's possible) on the arrival/movements of the files could be risky business to write code for. Teaching your staff to use a page that factually is only an appendix to the real work of processing those files could be a not very rewarding task either ...
Carsten