[OSGeo-Discuss] Functional Testing of GIS applications (Automated Testing)

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Sat Feb 25 09:35:25 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:12 AM, AbSharma <kingpin1888 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm developing a GIS application using GeoServer, Openlayers, and SQL
> Server
> at the back-end. I tried to look for resources to write Automated Tests for
> functional testing of the application. I will describe an example scenario:

OGC compliance suites are examples of functional tests, they assume the
server has a given data set ready to be served, make requests, check the
results for a set of conditions that must be met.

However, all the tests suites rely on tests that are not visual, the WMS one
is the only one that has a few visual tests and it actually asks the human
running the test to compare the images.

If you have exemplars of how a map should look like you can use
pdiff (perceptual diff) to compare the expected image with the one actually
returned. I believe MapServer automated tests are done that way.

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.