[OSGeo-Discuss] why python is stuck at 2.5 in osgeo4w?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 24 02:16:00 EST 2012

On 01/17/2012 09:48 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 07:59 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:
>> I have the same question - python2.5 is common source of problems
>> for students starting with GRASS on mswindows
>>
>> Helena
>>

>> On Jan 17, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I believe that programs shipped in osgeo4w are ready to use more recent
>>> python versions, 2.7 would also allow to fix many bugs and add new
>>> applications (ex: SAGA).
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> -- Giovanni --
>>>

> Please see the long threads on this topic on the osgeo4w list. This was
> discussed at FOSS4G BOF and is really close to being ready for testing
> now. Actually it might be ready for testing this week. But yes if you're
> interested in this topic please join the osgeo4w list.
>
> FYI, there are still some packages that we could use volunteers on, eg.
> mapnik, liblas to get their python rebuilt to 2.7.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Good news, the osgeo4w crew has finished upgrading most packages to
python 2.7. You should now be able to try upgrading. I think there might
be a few minor packages that aren't available yet (I think that's
mapnik, liblas, mapscript, mapfish, rpy2)

Help on those would be appreciated if people want them bundled. See the
osgeo4w mailing list and trac for more details.

Thanks,
Alex