[OSGeo-Discuss] Mapping Tools for Real Estate Parcels

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Jan 6 08:54:28 PST 2012

Arnie,

If you have landmarks to work with, I would just digitize off of a aerial map view.  Even if there are no landmarks, you may be able to find the parcels from a local resource like a county, in Raster form, and apply a projection to the raster file for overlaying and digitizing.

Our Parcel Viewer has a coordinate tracking feature incorporated into it that can let you grab coordinates as well.

Most of the GPS setup are pretty easy to figure out if you ever done any mapping stuff in the past.

Something Like QGIS will let you import the points from a CSV file for example.

bobb

>>> Arnie Shore <shoreas at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all.  We have a need for mapping a few hundred parcels, and I
expect that will mean walking the property boundaries with  GPS device
in order to pick up corner coordinates, for subsequent entry into a
database.

Nothing at all unusual, I'm sure.

I'm OK with taking the point data for presentation, but I wonder if
anyone here can speak (actually, type!) to experiences with the
initial point data capture step; devices, etc, with recommendations.

AS