[OSGeo-Discuss] formal request for endorement of amicus on Sierra Club v. Orange Country court case

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Sat Jan 21 12:20:21 PST 2012

OSGeo folk:

I'm formally requesting that OSGeo endorse the amicus ("friend of the court") brief being submitted by the Sierra Club to the California Supreme Court.  This case covers significant interest to our community, including the definition of GIS data and the public's right to access open records.

The amicus letter can be found at [1].  More details on the case can be found on our wiki at [2].

If you have any thoughts on this matter -- pro or con -- please reply to the list or to me.

Following the protocol given in [3], discussion of this issue will take place on this mailing list until January 26th.  At that time, I will collect the community's responses and submit them to the Board for discussion at our next meeting on February 4th.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:OrangeCountry_amicus_letter.pdf
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OrangeCounty_Amicus
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Protocol_for_requesting_letter_of_support

-mpg