[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Jul 31 04:57:11 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

>Hi Guys,

>I agree totally with everything that has been said. I don't have a
>problem with using multiple applications to conduct my GIS work. I do
>all the time.
>
>I suppose the issue is what the purpose of the Atlas will be. To promote
>fosGIS or promote Open Source. I was under the impression it was the
>former and so I suggested not using Inkscape. I presumed, the Atlas
>would illustrate what most mere mortals could do with fosGIS rather than
>show what some creative genius can achieve.

>If however the task is to create beautiful maps using whatever open
>source package comes to hand then by all means incorporate Inkscape
>manipulated images -- it seems to be the preferred tool for manipulating
>maps generated by a whole raft of fosGIS packages.

>-- Cheers Simon

I view this exercise as a Howto on creating great maps with open source
geospatial software.  As part of the effort, I would assume that there
would be text included that walked one through the map creation process,
including steps where tools such as Inkscape were used to enhance the
visual impact.  To me, telling how it was done with open source geospatial
tools is as important as that it was done with open source geospatial
tools.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.