[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter Member Nomination: Doug Newcomb

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 5 07:04:49 PDT 2012

 I would like to nominate Doug Newcomb,
a GIS guru at the US Fish and Wildlife office in Raleigh, NC
as OSGeo charter member.

For many years he has been a fantastic advocate of FOSS4G in
the government agencies offering not only presentations,
organization of sessions and meetings but also technical help
with  Mapserver, GDAL/OGR tools and GRASS GIS.
His work with lidar data is famous for breaking records in the amount
of data processed  and information extracted with minimal resources.
He has contributed to testing GRASS and other lidar tools
and helped many people to get started with FOSS4G.

I believe that we need more people like Doug and Michael Smith
(also nominated this year by Jeff McKenna)
who can promote FOSS and OSGeo  in the government agencies
not only by talking about it but also by using it and demonstrating how well it works
for important agency tasks and cutting edge applications.

I believe Doug would be a great representative of OSGeo and
provide a much needed connection to government agencies
as an active charter member.

Helena

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
2800 Faucette Drive, Rm. 1125 Jordan Hall
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
hmitaso at ncsu.edu