[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Fri Jul 27 05:08:08 PDT 2012

>Il 27/07/2012 12:45, Mateusz Loskot ha scritto:
>> GPL is dying, of natural causes.
>> http://ostatic.com/blog/the-top-licenses-on-github Best regards,
>is this true only on GH, or is it a general phenomenon?

Well, if you do a quick search for GPL on github,
https://github.com/search?q=GPL&repo=&langOverride=&start_value=1&type=Everything&language=
, you have about 1572 repositories that match.

Searching for MIT or GPL dual license
,https://github.com/search?q=MIT+or+GPL&repo=&langOverride=&start_value=1&type=Everything&language=,
turns up 3475 repositories.

It's interesting that the most active projects on github are not GPL, but
I don't think that signals the death of the GPL license.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.