[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Fri Jul 27 11:00:36 PDT 2012

I hesitate to get into this discussion, but...

Puneet wrote:
> [...] I short-circuit all license discussions in my personal domain by
> not having any license. Life is too short and precious, in my view, to encumber with
> these complications.

Do you literally mean no license at all? That might be a mistake, if you're looking for others to adopt your code.

Having no license documentation in the code raises all sorts of red flags.  In my commercial or government work, I'd not allow use of any code whose provenance, author, and/or copyright status is at all unclear.

-mpg