[OSGeo-Discuss] Nomination for Cameron Shorter

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 17:30:13 PDT 2012

Thank you all for the board nomination, and kind words.

I should point out what I believe is important in an OSGeo board, which
in turn will guide how I'd like to behave as a board member.

* I believe a board should listen to the community, work out what is the
best for the community, then vote accordingly.

* We need to recognise the limited time constraints of (already busy)
board members. If most decisions are deferred to an 8 member board, then
we are wasting the potential of the 1000s of OSGeo volunteers, and 100s
of OSGeo charter members. So primarily, a board's role should purely be
a job of oversight, validating decisions made in OSGeo's various
committees and projects.

* It is important to discuss ideas, but even more important is to follow
through with solid actions, and I believe it is important to look for
opportunities to enable volunteers to make a difference. It is important
to work out ways to collate our volunteer efforts effectively and
efficiently to make something much bigger than one person can do on
their own. Effectively, a role of OSGeo Chair and Board positions is
about help OSGeo volunteers help themselves.

* It is good for a board to have a breadth of experience and opinions,
but even more important is for a board to be able to work together
effectively to make decisions. This means that at times, each board
member will need to compromise, because a compromise is almost always
better than making no decision at all.

* Lastly, we should have members of the board who are prepared to travel
and this is something I won't be able to fulfil due to my family
situation. And as I live in Australia, I work the graveyard shift of the
rest of the world, which means awkward meeting slots for some. Before I
take on a board position, I will need to ask other board members if they
are in a position to work around this.