[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 00:26:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Simon Cropper
<simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:

> I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless
> of course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has
> come about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various
> packages.
>
> Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the
> package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is
> not representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS
> package but rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!

[ Can the people discussing Arnulf's public geospatial data committee
stuff please change their subject line and start a new thread? thx ]

 Hi Simon,

   if I was worried about having too many maps for the atlas then I'd
consider putting more restrictions on the entries. However my fear is
having too few. Plus it is indeed partly intended to show artistic
skill and as long as the work is substantially created using
open-source software then I wouldn't reject it.

 Aspects of commercial cartography are still done outside of
commercial GIS - eg by loading Windows Metafiles from a GIS into Adobe
Illustrator - and I see no reason why that workflow can't be allowed
for Open Source Cartography. I don't think Open Source GIS needs to be
Open Source GIS Plus Desktop Publishing.

 Also, we get to highlight integration between open source projects
that is facilitated by Open Standards, and those standards are going
beyond spatial standards (such as using SVG to go between Qgis and
Inkscape).

Barry