[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Atlas

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Mon Jul 30 07:28:40 PDT 2012

> I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless of
> course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has come
> about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various
> packages.
>
> Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the
> package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is not
> representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS package but
> rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!
>
> Simon,

I strongly disagree here. One of the best things about Open Source tools is
that they often follow the Unix Philosophy of being able to have very task
specific tools. Cartography is most certainly a very different task than
data analysis and I think that tools like InkScape are a very important
part of the "toolbox". While I do agree that we need to do a better job
integrating better cartographic tools into individual pieces of fosGIS
packages, it is equally important to me that we create the linkages to make
it easier to use complementary tools like InkScape as well.

David