[OSGeo-Discuss] Need for to to convert/deconstruct a shapefile to create a relational table

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Thu Mar 15 21:52:45 PDT 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know of a simple means to take a shapefile and create a
either a SQLite or xBase table?

Essentially it is taking an attached attribute table, inserting the
coordinates in a field and saving the new file in a designated format.

Most of the data being converted is point data or fixed area samples.
Ideally the converter could record the centroid for grid cells with
details of the furthest point.

I know of various tools that can do this 'manually' one step at a time
but as I have many files that come regularly, I would like to somehow
automate the process.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides