[OSGeo-Discuss] Displaying vector files

akshay gupta akshaygupta202 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:30:32 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am writing an application to load vector maps/shape files using gdal/ogr
and display them onto a gui designed using Qt. I am  new to dealing with
vector files, I am not able to decide how to render them on GUI. Few
approaches that come to my mind are:
- To convert vector files to raster and display them as raster..
- To draw each shape in vector file one by one (i dont know how to do this,
I dont even know whether it would be even  possible this using GDAL/OGR, or
how complex this would be because in my case vector files can be very
complex)

The decision how to render vector files is very important for me, because
after displaying vector files i need to support some advanced features like
projection change, interactive selection, Geo-referencing etc.

Can any one who has worked on vector/gis stuff, tell me how this is usually
done and what Qt widget is used for displaying such data.

Thanks,
Akshay gupta