[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Governance

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat May 26 11:53:59 PDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 1:38 PM, Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:

> Dear Members of OSGeo,
> we have an important issue on governance coming up again and again. It
> suggests that OSGeo Board decisions should be complemented by votes from
> the Charter Members when "important" and "strategic" decisions have to
> be taken. Something like this:
>
> [snip]
>>> For such important decisions, I think that it would maybe
>>> worth making Charter members vote too, just like to get an
>>> major orientation decided by 120 people instead of only 8.
> [snip]
>
> Initially this sounded like a good idea to me so we discussed this in
> Denver and then again in Seattle at the last f2f board meetings plus on
> the list and during regular IRC board meetings. We have come to a
> different conclusion and want to explain why and ask for comments.
> ..

I don't know if you are asking for input from the charter members, but if you are, I concur with your conclusion. I trust the board to make the right decision on my behalf, and if and when I don't, I will do my little bit to choose a different board.

Keep up the hard work.

--
Puneet Kishor http://punkish.org
science http://earth-base.org