[OSGeo-Discuss] Displaying vector files

Mohammed Rashad mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Wed May 9 06:38:39 PDT 2012

Hi Akshay,

There is QGIS[1] which does both raster and vector rendering and a lot of
things more that you need.
You can develop a small application using QGIS as library. You need to link
your application with qgis_core and qgis_gui.
There are some nice tutorials written by tim sutton[2]. and QGIS uses Qt
and cross platform

[1] qgis.org
[2] http://blog.qgis.org/taxonomy/term/1

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM, akshay gupta <akshaygupta202 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing an application to load vector maps/shape files using gdal/ogr
> and display them onto a gui designed using Qt. I am  new to dealing with
> vector files, I am not able to decide how to render them on GUI. Few
> approaches that come to my mind are:
> - To convert vector files to raster and display them as raster..
> - To draw each shape in vector file one by one (i dont know how to do
> this, I dont even know whether it would be even  possible this using
> GDAL/OGR, or how complex this would be because in my case vector files can
> be very complex)
>
> The decision how to render vector files is very important for me, because
> after displaying vector files i need to support some advanced features like
> projection change, interactive selection, Geo-referencing etc.
>
> Can any one who has worked on vector/gis stuff, tell me how this is
> usually done and what Qt widget is used for displaying such data.
>
> Thanks,
> Akshay gupta

Regards,
   Rashad