[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham update

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 1 08:26:47 PDT 2012

All the news that's fit to print from your FOSS4G 2013 committee..

The biggie is that the deal is now done with Transactions in GIS that
a number of papers from the Academic Track submissions will be
accepted into the journal for publishing. "TGIS" as it is known, "is
an international, peer-reviewed journal that publishes original
research articles, review articles, and short technical notes on the
latest advances and best practices in the spatial sciences.". The
attraction of this for academics is that published papers in
high-impact journals are what we live for. The AT Subcommittee is now
busy putting together a review team for the submissions, and also
writing the call for papers to go out soon. All this should bring in
some very strong submissions to the Academic Track of the conference.

Elsewhere, progress continues on the web site design and logo. We've
had a few logo proposals, and have settled on something that evokes
the English autumn. At the time of the conference the leaves will be
starting to turn, and Sherwood Forest will be a magnificent place to
explore if you wish to go on a chivalric quest away from the safety of
the GeoCamp - the giant marquee that will form part of the conference
location. If Robin Hood should capture you, just tell him you develop
Open Source applications and he'll set you on your way.

Other discussions have been going on about sponsorship, not having
conference bags, social trips (caves anyone?
http://bldgblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/caves-of-nottingham_11.html),
getting enough internet bandwidth, and a big discussion about how to
review presentations - which I'll post about shortly.

Barry