[OSGeo-Discuss] About "Interactive Map" patent application by Apple Inc.

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 05:57:40 PST 2013

It was tl;dr, but the quick scan I did seems to have two things that I haven't seen yet --

1. multi-touch: touch two points on a map and the best route is displayed immediately;

2. dim everything else thereby highlighting only what one wants to look at.

There may be other new things in that long application.

Interestingly #2 above reminds me of line graphs that Manish Agarwala from Berkeley had invented a long time ago that MapBlast incorporated in its routing algorithms. Then MapBlast was bought out by MS maps outfit (I think it was called MSN) and the feature existed for a while; and then that morphed into Bing and it even existed in Bing Labs for a while and then seems to have vanished. I used to love that line drawing feature. You could ask for a route as a line drawing, and it would only highlight the most important thing, the route, along with associated land marks, and dim everything else.