[OSGeo-Discuss] Live DVD and OGC standards

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 07:15:33 PDT 2013

Hey,

On 7/6/13 2:03 AM, Ravi Kumar wrote:
> Please give info/link regarding
>

> 1. The software that are bundled in the OSGeo Live DVD do they all have OGC complaince.
>
> This is a query we come across and wish to prepare for the same.  LiveDVD bundles many FOSS GIS software which are not actually OSGeo mentored projects.
> 2. Is a Shape file OGC compliant (some times also known as ESRI Shape file)

No, the OGC has not standardized the 'Shapefile' format. ESRI has a
pretty good document of the spatial part, the database part has many
different standardization documents all alike, the spatial referencing
files have a pretty good convention, and the mix of other files like the
spatial indexes have little consistency and no documentation.

In other words, this is a *perfect* candidate for standardization at the
OGC. I now have a pretty good idea how that standardization could be
done. However, that work would benefit from ESRI support yet, due to
recent events at the OGC, now is not a great time to embark on this
project. If it does happen, there will be some decisions to be made and
it would be good to get input on those from the various free software
projects that have implemented the file format.

>      Is there a list of File Formats and OGC compliance ?

If your question is 'what file formats have been standardized at the
OGC?' then I don't know of any list. Probably, you are meaning spatial
data formats such as GML (vector) and netCDF (grid). Then there are
formats for data observations/measurements. There are also a number of
non-spatial data formats like GeoXACML defining access control
constraints. So, it depends what kind of data you care about.

The list of standards is on the OGC website:
   http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/is
and you can go through it in relation to your own needs.

~adrian