[OSGeo-Discuss] Nomination for Daniel McInerney

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 01:33:40 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Margherita Di Leo
<dileomargherita at gmail.com> wrote:
> Name: Daniel McInerney
> Email: daniel.o.mcinerney at gmail.com
> Wiki: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Dmci
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to nominate Daniel McInerney for charter membership. He is a
> researcher at the Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement
> in Paris with a strong background in forest monitoring using optical remote
> sensing. He is also a big supporter of Open Science.
> I had the honor to work with him at the European Commission, JRC [1], where
> he had been developing open source tools and applications in the context of
> the European Forest Data Centre [2], the European Forest Fire Information
> System [3] and the Forestry Work Package of the EuroGEOSS project [4].
> Furthermore, he has been working in close contact with the INSPIRE [5] team
> and is an expert in OGC standards.
> He's also a proficient GRASS GIS power user and offered his support for the
> new GRASS website's contents and GRASS tutorial [6]. He is also a power user
> of GDAL/OGR, QGIS, UMN Mapserver and R Statistics.
> Daniel is always prompt in offering his help to colleagues and users and his
> good mood and professionality make him a natural OSGeo advocate.
> Finally, let me just mention for the sake of OSGeo representation diversity,
> that, in case of his election, he would be the first representative from
> Ireland!
>

> [0] http://www.earthzine.org/about/daniel-mcinerney-deputy-editor/
> [1] http://forest.jrc.ec.europa.eu/team/person/7/detail/
> [2] http://forest.jrc.ec.europa.eu/efdac/
> [3] http://forest.jrc.ec.europa.eu/effis/
> [4] http://www.eurogeoss.eu/default.aspx
> [5] http://inspire.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.cfm/pageid/42/list/6/id/3216
> [6] http://grass.osgeo.org/home/imprint/

I second this nomination as well.
I had the pleasure to work with Daniel for several years, and I can
definitely say he is an awesome scientist, a brilliant Linux power
user, and a great FOSS4G software expert.
Over all he is a passionate open source advocate, so I definitely
think it would be a great choice to propose him as a charter member.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti