[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Standards] "Geoservices REST API" story is being discussed on slashdot

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Jun 6 06:45:23 PDT 2013

Brent,
well said. I agree with all you say and I would have signed the letter
- - if I had thought it necessary to stop the REST API from happening.

One more thing to add: We always think that "the OGC" does this or
that. Just like people tend to think that OSGeo has a leading voice
but can anybody tell me how an umbrella can talk? The OCG and OSGeo
likewise are collectives of sorts and as we are all habituated to
democrazy-ness we tend to perceive organizations as dual, black and
white, one opinion and one reason responsible for everything.

Coming back to the latest OGC events I ask: Can an organization like
the OGC take a political decision at all? If technically things are
doable (N.b. I do not think that the esri REST API is a technical
master piece, but it is doable), then what are the reasons to not make
it a standard? If at all it can only be stopped by a majority of
members. And even they have a hard time except arguing that there is a
lack of competing implementations (like Adrian mentioned).

Hence - if you want to get things done (or specifically not done),
then there is a hard road with lots of work to be gone within the OGC.
Opened up to five active OSGeo hackers for free. If anybody is
interested, here is the background:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership

Cheers,
Arnulf