[OSGeo-Discuss] INSPIRE Conference 2013 - UPDATES on the workshop

Simone Giannecchini simone.giannecchini at geo-solutions.it
Tue May 21 00:39:31 PDT 2013

Ciao Jachym,
a few clarifications below...

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
GeoServer training in Milan, 6th & 7th June 2013! Visit
http://geoserver.geo-solutions.it for more information.
==

Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Jachym Cepicky
<jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Madi,
>
> I still did not obtain any confirmation mail about proposed presentation
> - do you know by chance, how far the process is?
>
> As for the workshop, it seems odd to combine MapStore as concrete
> product with whole OSGeo stack and more dialogue-based workshop.
>
> I see them as two different topics for completely different auditorium.
> I would understand, that MapStore people would feel upset, if they would
> have to share their time with "pure" OSGeo.
>
> From my point of view, all decisions are bad (except having two full
> workshops accepted). I think, that the best option would than be to
> share the time with MapStore and gladly accept their offer kind 30:60
> (rather 60:30 - OSGeo in general, MapStore as concrete example of local
> company using and developing OSGeo projects), if possible.

That was exactly my proposal :)
We also had to try and find a decent title as having two different
workshops using portions of the same time seemed misleading and
actually contraddicted what was asked from
the organizers. Therefore I suggested to split the time giving
precedence to the OSGEO based discussion and then hold the MapStore
workshop at the end.

> NOTE: This is nothing against MapStore. I wish them all the best and I
> think, they deserve full workshop time slot as well. INSPIRE conference
> committee forses us to compete as international organization with
> semi-local company (GeoSolution). This is simply not all right (or do I
> see it completely wrong?)

Well, life isn't perfect and we need to live with what we are while we
try to change things :)
I believe the solution we are proposing here is Ok (not perfect I
admit) as I believe leaves enough room for discussion
as well as as enough room for us (as in GeoSolutions) for showing a
bit of what we do.