[OSGeo-Discuss] OGC liaison memberships

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Thu May 30 10:13:05 PDT 2013

Hey all,

As I remember it, OSGeo has been granted a number of liaison memberships
(six?) from the OGC. Are they all being used? If not, what would be the
process to obtain one?

In past years, I have been reluctant to officially represent OSGeo and
so have paid for a membership on my own. Nonetheless, I have been
pushing the OGC on openness, the consideration of free software, and
issues arising from the 'OSGeo point of view' ever since I started
participating at the OGC. I have also been acting unofficially as a
bridge between the two organizations (with the good and bad that comes
from that such as, in the last few days, being unable to announce the
end of the 'GeoServices REST' debacle). Now I am considering making this
work and my association between the two organizations more formal.

Therefore, if you all are willing, and if a membership were available, I
would like to take this on as a formal role and represent all of you at
the OGC. It would mean I would show up to meetings and sign my
authorship of whatever documents with the affiliation 'OSGeo'. In the
future, I also would plan to lobby the OGC to grant OSGeo a formal vote
in the proceedings of the technical committee. That will be hard to
obtain since we will not be pitching in the mega-cash that the OGC needs
to sustain their way of operating; however, it might be possible
someday, especially if we start contributing effectively to their work.

Sincerely,
   Adrian Custer