[OSGeo-Discuss] Would you be concerned if the "GeoServices REST API" became an OGC standard?

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Sat May 4 09:53:33 PDT 2013

Il 04/05/2013 18:43, Adrian Custer ha scritto:

> Which brings us to OSGeo and what useful contribution it could make to
> the debate. Simply rehashing the issues above is not going to be useful
> to anyone. If new ideas arise, or a large, common position emerges on
> the issue, I'd be glad to inject them into the OGC discussion.
>
> I suspect there is at least a week before voting resumes, although the
> rules going forwards are not yet clear.

Adrian,
your overview is very helpful. From where I stand, there are three
reasons to push for a "no" to the proposed standard, all touched in your
or Cameron's message:

1. disrespect for an existing, widespread, appreciated standard: GeoJSON
2. no open source reference implementation
3. vote was already suspended multiple times, showing a lack of
   agreement about this standard

Points 1 and 2 are part of the OSGeo mission IMHO.

Thank you
steko

--
Stefano Costa