[OSGeo-Discuss] Would you be concerned if the "GeoServices REST API" became an OGC standard?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun May 5 03:00:42 PDT 2013

Le dimanche 05 mai 2013 01:05:22, Adrian Custer a écrit :
> On 5/4/13 6:06 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> > Thanks for the background Adrian, do we know of any other parties with
> > implementation plans? --
> > Jody Garnett
>
> The known implementations are listed in the document responding to the
> 'no' vote. I won't list them here 'till I hear back on the status of
> these documents as public ( f*&^(ing Imaginary Property Rules that won't
> die).
>
> However, you'll be glad to know that GDAL is listed as an implementation
> in the "Processing GeoServices JSON" since it "can read" the JSON file
> returned from one of the services!

Yeah, I somehow remember having implemented this in the OGR GeoJSON driver.
But this should not mean in any way that this an official endorsement from the
GDAL project for the GeoServices REST API to become an OGC standard. As you
know, GDAL core business is to read a lot of stuff that aren't standard in any
way, sometimes reversed engineered, sometimes unfortunately completely closed
by using proprietary external libraries. This is a pragmatic approach, not an
ideological one.