[OSGeo-Discuss] West Coast USA Conference

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed May 8 07:38:52 PDT 2013

Hi Landon,

I think your idea of starting with a one day addition to the existing
land surveyors event is great, this is a great way to introduce FOSS4G
to a new community.

Also don't be afraid to 'just do it', if your chapter is interested in
hosting their own event, excellent!  It's very very important that we
spread our passion at the local level.

-jeff

On 2013-05-07 10:54 PM, Landon Blake wrote:
> I've been tossing around the idea of organizing an open source GIS
> conference on the USA West Coast. I'd thought it would be good to bounce
> that idea by this general discussion list.
>
> I think the organization of a conference could be spearheaded by the
> California Chapter under my lead. I know the PDX chapter is also on the
> West Coast and may be interested.
>
> If we couldn't swing a self-hosted event I think there is a good change
> I could get a day on the program of the California/Nevada land surveyors
> conference, which is usually in Reno every spring. This would greatly
> reduce the cost, and would have the added benefit of bringing in some
> extra revenue to the surveying conference. I have some connections with
> the California surveying organization that puts on the Reno conference
> and I serve on their GIS Committee. I would be able to explore this
> option with them.
>
> Please let me know if you would be interested in helping me organize a
> one or two day event on the West Coast. If there is enough support, I'll
> open a more detailed discussion on the California Chapter mailing list,
> and will try to see if there are enough volunteers to form a West Coast
> conference committee.
>
> My employer might be willing to help sponsor some of the costs for a
> smaller self-hosted event for 50 to 100 people.
>
> I don't want this to take the steam out of a national USA FOSS4G
> conference. But I think there is a good opportunity to capture the
> interest of local folks that won't attend a national conference,
> especially in the Silicon Valley. Perhaps we could coordinate with the
> USA FOSS4G folks to have an event in California every two or three years?
>
> Please share your thoughts.
>
> Landon

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/