[OSGeo-Discuss] The OGC: clueless, uncaring, and still rocking to Prince.

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Sun May 12 22:46:54 PDT 2013

Hello,

What a decent mail. Thanks.

All these topics sound good but each is worth its own detailed
discussion. Some might be fascinating and they would then take a while
and getting each started productively would be hard. Face to face, it
might be different: quicker, easier to skip ahead, possible to find the
interesting bits. Probably, I'd learn a lot. Unlike you, I doubt we
disagree about that much on the technological side; more likely, we are
considering different target audiences, with different restrictions, and
have a different vision of the solution space.

But then, I would rather spend that time elsewhere, like on trying to
address issues with an existing OGC standard. Also, it would be hard for
me to figure out effective language in response to so many paragraphs
starting with the first person pronoun and setting up confrontation
rather than building room for exploration. So perhaps face-to-face
someday, where it would be possible to see if we could discuss
productively, but not now and by text. Thanks for the offer.

The personal offense is minor, not worth dwelling on.

Your vision of the OGC is still puzzling but really I don't care. The
OGC will make lots of mistakes, write lots of crummy standards, and so
on. If adopting ESRI's pet standard destroys the OGC and all open
geospatial standards with it, then so be it; they were too fragile to
begin with. But I think it won't. Whatever happens, the OGC will
survive, open standards are still needed, and life will go on.

Ultimately, the OGC is just a bunch of people trying to get a good basis
for agreement down on paper and then a bunch of organizations voting on
whatever is produced. The people do their best; the organization vote
their interests. That kind of setup lives or dies by the quality of the
people in it. Thankfully there are some good people so there is some
stuff of good quality in the mix.

So, to the crux of your vent, it actually turns out that many are aware
of most of the issues you mention, and several are actually trying to
address them. So before throwing out some solution and spewing about why
the OGC hasn't adopted it already, it might be more productive to ask:
'hey this problem seems kind obvious to me, have you all seen it and
figured out how to tackle it?' Then, it might even turn out that there
is work being done at the OGC, at a particular scale and pace due to the
circumstances of that work. But the 'someone should do something the way
I want it done already' doesn't really work in much of the world I have
seen.

hoping our paths do cross someday,

ciao,
   ~adrian