[OSGeo-Discuss] project not found in list

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Sun May 19 19:50:46 PDT 2013

Hey,

On 5/19/13 8:17 PM, Gabriel Morin wrote:
> I found the incubation list you mentioned, thanks :
>
> gvSIG ,Marble ,MetaCRS ,Opticks ,pycsw ,rasdaman ,TEAM Engine ,ZOO-Project
>

> Sorry I was mistaken thinking osgeo was promoting all the geospatial open
 > source projets.
 > I hear so much about it I was thinking it was the case, but it's a
 > groupement like apache and eclipse.

Yes, OSGeo has been primarily focused on its own projects and
historically has been weak at recognizing and promoting other efforts.

Now that spatial has become ubiquitous it is more obvious that there is
great work going on in lots of different places. The R statistical
library, for example, has done a huge amount of work on spatial analysis
over the past decade but does not get mentioned much. More recently, the
Eclipse foundation has started a major push as well and there are many
new projects online.

OSGeo is one player among many others and is slowly being forced to
recognize that. OSGeo might eventually change from seeing its role as
promoting itself and its projects to taking on an expanded role of
promoting all the geospatial software that provides its users with
various freedoms. Unfortunately, the organization has been structured
around insiders and outsiders in its membership and its projects so that
split has become a deep part of its psyche---it will be hard for OSGeo
to complete such a change though many are willing.

> from what you say I should go see the apache project then, mdweb is
 > build on geotoolkit and you say it's part of Apache.

Mdweb is at http://www.mdweb-project.org/

It is its own project and not, to my knowledge, under any other
organizational umbrella.

GeoToolkit originally wanted to remain part of OSGeo but was not
accepted. It has recently become an Apache project.

> We used plenty of apache projects in formation, so it should be fine :)
>

> I have download geotools an geotoolkit but they don't look the same, is it really a fork ?

Yes there was a fork.

Geotools, after a first life as an applet toolkit, set out to become a
general purpose geospatial library. However, the project become
dominated by developers working on the proprietary GeoServer project.
The fork that retained the name is now essentially a library in support
of that server and releases only when a new release of the server is due.

GeoToolkit followed on towards the original goal. In order to establish
itself as a project independent of any company, it went searching for an
umbrella organization and has now found that in Apache.

The differences in the code bases follow from the differences in
ambitions. One fork is more concerned with getting things working, and
so advances rapidly. The other fork more concerned with getting things
working right and so focused more on standardization and rigorous test
suites.

Both are good projects and cover a great deal of the geospatial so, if
they suit your needs, should be a good to work against. In your case,
many core developers on GeoToolkit are in France and speak French, which
you might find helpful or fun.

salut,
   ~adrian