[OSGeo-Discuss] project not found in list

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Thu May 23 07:50:07 PDT 2013

Hi Jeff and others,
does it make any sense to have a space for pre-incubation projects (or
OSGeo friendly projects)
that OSGeo promote even if not still officially part of the family but
recognized as interesting?

For example I have a project on an OGC service (istSOS) that has a very
limited community but is willing to become a day OSGeo project...
other projects may have the same feeling, maybe a pre-incubation box could
worth?

Maxi

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> On 2013-05-21 11:55 AM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> >
> > Interesting discussion.  This reminds me of when GPSbabel came knocking
> > on OSGeo's door looking for a home and we didn't know how to respond;
> > imho OSGeo dropped the ball on that one (maybe because it came a bit
> > early in the story for us).  For me that was one of those future
> > signposts in time events.
> >
> > I think OSGeo does need to find a way to be more inclusive of 'outside'
> > projects that reflects OSGeo's leadership in the FOSS spatial realm.  I
> > don't think that should be at the expense of the 'foundation' role for
> > OSGeo projects, but there is a very real challenge there if OSGeo wants
> > to rise to the challenge of being the dominant player in FOSS spatial.
> > I fear the alternative is to one day wake up and discover OSGeo is 'just
> > another foundation', not because anyone else has taken up the wider FOSS
> > spatial advocacy role, but because we've shied away from it.
> >

> Hi Tim,
>
> The role of advocacy and leadership in FOSS spatial is exactly what I
> believe OSGeo provides.  I believe our many advocates around the world
> provide this on a daily basis to their local communities.  You are
> correct that we (OSGeo) will have upcoming challenges to be more
> inclusive of projects/communities (as Adrian, or someone, recently
> pointed out to me, in 2006 the OSGeo infrastructure made sense and was
> very attractive to new projects, but is it so attractive now in 2013?
> Tough question to answer, but one we must face and deal with together).
>
> -jeff

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra