[OSGeo-Discuss] OGC liaison memberships

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Fri May 31 06:45:23 PDT 2013

Hey all,

On the front of becoming one of the liaison members, I would appreciate
guidance on procedure. Do we generate a formal letter to me and the OGC
or do we not yet have any procedure for this? I have just now asked
Barbara Sherman of the OGC if she is aware of any procedure on her end.
I would like to get this squared away quickly and easily.

On the front of OSGeo building deeper ties with the OGC and, perhaps
becoming a voting member someday, I think we should move forwards on a
number of fronts jointly.

The first is clearly discussion and openness, letting Carl, the head of
the TC and Mark, the president of the OGC both know that this is
something we are seeking and towards which we plan to work.

A second front might be to become more active on the Standards Front.
There has been some recent interest in OSGeo taking on some Standards
related activity, where certainly being vocal and offering productive
critiques could be productive. It may also prove useful to do more. For
example, I am planning to write up a number of format standards in the
next six months and so it might make sense for me to develop some of
them within OSGeo. The standards would require buy in from this
community anyhow, so perhaps developing them here would give this
community some more leverage in the Standards game. I'll do the bulk of
the work first and then get back to you all on whether they make sense
at OSGeo and how they could start life here. In the interim, OSGeo might
consider how it could host 'standards focused projects' rather than
'software focused projects' or 'community focused projects'. I'm not
sure that requires more work than agreeing it should be allowed. It
could be part of 'labs' to stay informal or some other procedure might
be invented.

cheers,
   ~adrian