[OSGeo-Discuss] packaging mailing list

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 08:40:01 PDT 2013

Hi all,

There have been some IRC discussions between Fedora-GIS and openSUSE Geo
maintainers to join forces (as possible) regarding the packaging of
geospatial applications.

We feel that such packaging projects (DebianGIS, UbuntuGIS, ELGIS,
Fedora-GIS, App:Geo, Arch AUR etc)  could at least share patches,
workarounds, ideas, maybe even some code (especially when being on a
common RPM or DEB format).

Then we thought: What if there was a common mailing list that all
GNU/Linux packagers could join and discuss? And who would be better to
host such a list than OSGeo?

So this is the proposal: Lets create an OSGeo "packaging" mailing list
and lets work together. At first we can announce new packages being
created for every distro out there. Then perhaps we can share some
tickets etc.

We *know* that every distro has its own ways of doing things and we are
not proposing merging, but collaborating as much as possible...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Angelos

--