[OSGeo-Discuss] Defining a GIO position (or attmepting to . . .)

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Thu Oct 17 02:38:19 PDT 2013

I find that an argument that seats well with management is open source scales for free, while proprietary is itself a financial obstacle when you need to grow your system, be it to support more load server-side, add more client-side machines, or add new applications to your portfolio (usually a combo of these). In proprietary you can only grow in functionality by increasing your annual budget just for keeping the software, without even considering any development or training costs. So in the long run, your base costs creep up, like a memory leak ;).

Many times you see a system be completely shut down because its maintenance costs got to a value someone just decides it is not worth paying anymore. Then you are forced to go open source, in a very painful way.

Bottom line, in the medium/long term open source offers a significant financial stability, that can in fact mean the sustainability of your system.

Duarte