[OSGeo-Discuss] Inaugural webinar of ”Open Geospatial Science & Applications” webinar series on 18th October

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 18 08:24:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Margherita Di Leo
<dileomargherita at gmail.com> wrote:

> That said, my point is that the technology used for deliver OSGeo's message
> is not a mere detail. Of course, the best choice would be to use an open
> source software for that, honestly I'm not aware if there are any
> (reliable).

 The proprietary and commercial solutions are hardly reliable either!
We used Webex for FOSS4G 2013 committee meetings, and it would drop
people, or not let me use computer sound and so on. Plus it tended to
crash my browser and needed an exact JVM to work reliably.

The open source conferencingythings I know of include BigBlueButton
and OpenMeetings, the latter of which is now an Apache Foundation
project:

http://openmeetings.apache.org/

which should be something we as an open source community should get
behind in a big way.

 I've suggested projects try these things but The Powers That Be end
up going with Webex or Skype because thats what they've used in the
past, and maybe its less server setup and so on. But when I'm king of
everything...

> But, whatever platform you choose, should IMHO at very least not
> discriminate against Linux users, which are often constrained to use tricks
> to access other services elsewhere.. because it's simply exhausting [1], and
> we shouldn't expect to be discriminated against by those who are supposed to
> deliver the very same message that we do.

 +1 "Geo For All Except Linux Users"? No thanks!

Barry