[OSGeo-Discuss] las spec doubt

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 00:38:15 PDT 2013

Hi everyone, I hope this is not OT.
I wanted to ask a short advice on a las file content problem.

I wanted to get a short comment about how GPS Week Time is seen in the
las format.

Let's assume the las file format is prior to 1.2, so no encoding
information is available to open possibility for adjusted gps time.

In that case, is it so that the Gps Week Time is just the seconds in
the week, without any information about the week?
I was under the assumption that the format of GPS Week Time would be
"week.time" as content of the double, hence giving a full timestamp
information.

I can't find a document exactly specifying this, the las specs just
state: "GPS Time: The GPS time is the double floating point time tag
value at which the point was acquired."

It is interesting, since I often found the header's date not being
accurate (and seems to reflect the file modification date), making it
impossible for me to define a unique timestamp.

Thanks for any comment, or link to docs.
Andrea