[OSGeo-Discuss] Ubuntu vs. Centos for GIS?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 2 11:57:31 PDT 2014

On 04/02/2014 11:13 AM, David Strom wrote:
> We have a project where people are using R & Grass & GDAL for various
> sorts of Geoprocessing.  The first server we put up is running Ubuntu
> 12.0.4, and we installed Grass, Gdal, etc. from repository(ies) - i.e.,
> we didn't build it.
>
> 2nd server is running Centos, because of EMC SAN storage, thought it
> might be easier because RedHat is supported by EMC, but not Ubuntu.
> Installed Grass, GDAL, etc. from elgis repository.
>
> Centos system can't create BigTiffs, but the Ubuntu system can (GDAL
> page says BigTiff should be supported by default, I think0, so we're
> wondering if we should switch that system over to running Ubuntu.
>
> I wonder if anyone has any experience(s) to share in picking a Linux
> distro, pro or con.  I don't mean to complain about anyone's repository,
> we just don't have that much time to devote to admin efforts, so we
> would rather install FOSS from repositories, rather than having to build
> everything.
>
> Opinions, stories?
>
> TIA
> --

In general, the current state of affairs, is the DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS
repositories are more up to date and managed than the ELGis
(Redhat/Centos/Fedora) group. I suspect it's simply a reflection of
people hours available and put into the respective systems.

The other option is the OpenSuse build service which has both Suse and
some Redhat builds (the main person behind this is also on Ubuntugis Team)
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Application:Geo
OR I think the Postgis/Postgres teams have a somewhat up to date repo of
some stuff
http://yum.postgresql.org/packages.php

I'd assume the build difference in drivers is mostly dependency
libraries and compile time options. GDAL is tricky in that if you need
some formats you can't really avoid compiling it. Of course compiling
GDAL does not mean you have to compile everything else you need.
Or you can bug and bribe the package managers about why they didn't
include a particular format and what it takes to add it (non-free
formats, it's a licensing issue).

Thanks,
Alex

Disclaimer: I'm on the UbuntuGIS/DebianGIS lists and not the ELGis.