[OSGeo-Discuss] Local Chapter Guidance

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Wed Apr 23 10:01:18 PDT 2014

What I learned in Corvallis:

Have a meeting scheduled for the same time slot EVERY month.
Then be there, even if you don't know if anyone will show up.

If no one else shows, you still have a committed time to study and learn
with no distractions. Don't you want that anyway?
If one or two people show, you work together. If 4-5 or more show then
you start having presentations, formal or not.
I think I got the most out of those informal sessions.

In Corvallis meetings varied anywhere from 1 (me!) to 15-20. Formal format
with topic and speaker does not guarantee attendance! I am sure the OSU
calendar impacts it but the big mistake I made the first year was taking a
summer break and then not restarting in the fall. Just ignore the calendar
and keep going.

Trying to get a speaker every month is sure to burn you out.

Now that I am moving I assume the Corvallis group will just cease to exist.
I also plan on starting a similar group in Santa Rosa as soon as I find a
location for meetings.

The first 2 or 3 meetings were stressful to me. (I'm a geek!) After that
it's just fun.

Brian (still in Corvallis)